Remember in November when I bought Doctor Who fabric to make Christmas aprons? I ended up not making them in time and the fabric has just been hanging out… waiting… until my friend’s birthday. Since a Doctor Who apron is a much better birthday gift than Christmas gift … because of … reasons.
Anywho, I spent the day working on the apron. I got the pattern from WhatTheCraft.com and I don’t think I can rave enough about her patterns. I have extensive quilting experience, but almost 0 experience making clothes (and no experience making things correctly, just guessing). Her pattern says that it’s for beginners, but I had my doubts. Her instructions were so detailed and there were pictures for each step, it was so easy to make (all 80 steps of it). For the pattern, you get a 16 page file of the pattern pieces which you print on regular letter paper, tape together, and then cut out the shapes. And that may be a common thing but my experience is just the patterns on the light brown tissue paper so I appreciate her pattern being easy to print.
Here is the fabric cut out with the pattern pieces. I found a teal batik to match the colors in the Tardis fabric.
Close up of the fabric. I used a cotton poplin. It’s thicker than I’m used to (compared to regular cottons) and I was worried it was too thick, but since it’s an apron that will be used and washed, I think it’s an appropriate thickness.
I got some off white ruffle trim from Joanns and made the skirt.
Next up was the bodice, including some ruching at the top. And throughout all of this, I didn’t sew myself to anything! Not even once! I was also thinking this could work as a swimsuit, with different fabrics.
I got both halves put together and had my finished apron!
The problem with aprons is that they don’t look quite so fabulous laying down, so when I gave it to my friend, I took pictures of the apron being worn. And I taught Paul how to bevel.