Two friends of mine, Scott and Regina, got engaged … 6 (ish) months ago. They were visiting Seattle, and he called me ahead of time and let me know he was going to propose. We were walking by the water, and I pulled out my camera to, ahem, take a few pictures, started filming, he got on a knee and proposed. It was really cool to be apart of (and always exciting for me to know a secret and keep it!).
For their wedding, Regina asked if I would be willing to make them a guest book quilt (which I had the same idea a few days before and hadn’t gotten around to asking her). Rather than a book that each guest signs, each guest or couple/family signs a quilt square. Then (post-wedding) they get put into a quilt and the couple has something on their bed or guest room or a wall hanging or whatever.
She got me the color palette. It’s a bit… calmer than I’m used to, but I do love the colors.
I sent her some examples of signature blocks / quilts and she picked out a rail fence block design. Each block will be 6″, with a 2″ x 6″ in the middle for the guest to sign with a permanent fabric pen. I sketched it up in Inkscape, using her colors. I plan to print a wedding photo onto fabric and have that as the centerpiece.
For the actual fabric, they will be patterned rather than solids. I’ll take the color swatches into a quilt shop and get some fabrics.
Recently, I purchased these fat quarters from the Sylvia Collection by Lotta Jansdotter. I had 4 white and 4 black and 1 that I was hoping would read as in between. I liked that each of the 4 prints had an inverse, since I’ve been playing with inverses lately.
Some sketching and math later, I came up with this block. I was able to get 16 squares of each FQ which make 16 of those blocks, which is a lovely number in quilt.
This design that I sketched using my super fancy software (that may resemble Excel but definitely isn’t… shhh…)
When I got the fabric cut and the HSTs sewn and laid out, the fabrics read busier than I was planning on and the design gets lost. The other problem is that the fabric that I wanted to read as in the middle was reading as black.
I played with a few other arrangements before deciding on the one with the black on the outside and white in the center.
A few hours later, here’s the finished quilt top! The quilt top is about 48″ square. While I was in Tucson, I donated the quilt at Quilter’s Market.
About one month ago, I purchased the Quick Curve Ruler from Sew Kind of Wonderful. This ruler promises to make it easier to cut concave and convex curves that fit perfectly together. I haven’t had a chance to play with it yet but I am incredibly excited and hoping it works as well as it promises!
For my first pattern, I’m going to do the Urban Beads pattern
I wanted to use a single color of the background. When I initially was shopping for fabric, I was planning to do a light background (a beige was the front runner) with my usual bright, bold colors for the beads. But, I decided to change it up and challenge myself to work outside of my comfort zone. I chose a dark purple for the background and the 5 lighter colors (below) for the beads. In the original pattern, each bead strand is one color – I’m planning to mix them up. These are the American Made Brand solid fabrics which are gorgeous. Every time I walk by them in a quilt shop, I just need to pet them. They’re made near me in Seattle, so that’s a nice bonus to stay local.
Right now, I’m working on finishing 5 quilts by next Friday (Nov 14) and then 4 more by Christmas. All are close and just need labels sewn in, pictures taken, and washing. More on those later.
But, that means it’s time to start thinking about non-quilt Christmas gifts. I saw the below apron at Whatthecraft.com and decided to make it.
I bought custom printed Doctor Who fabric from Spoonflower.com and am eagerly waiting for it to arrive (it shipped today). I just bought the main fabric for each apron (I’m making 2) and will color match the accent at a quilt shop.