Here is the finished quilt top for Talavera Seahawks by Desert Bloom Quilting!
The top has been finished for about a week and a half and it’s unfortunately taken me this long to share. I’m going to bind in the navy. I’m thinking of having it quilted in a blue and green variegated, but we’ll see.
Here are a few closeups of the blocks and my amazing mitered corners. I typically avoid mitering at all costs, but I made myself practice and they came out really well. The little green border is 1/2″ finished, so doing it with a miter made that much easier.
In a few days, I’ll be posting Month 3 of the QAL, so I’ve been gearing up for that. It’s never too late to sign up.
I have been having a great time working on Talavera Tiles by Desert Bloom Quilting. Last weekend was an oddly event free weekend so I spent Saturday cutting fabric and Sunday sewing. I’ve had a little time to sew throughout the week and have finished 3 sets (of 5) of the blocks. As soon as I post this, I’m going to finish the last 2 groups of blocks and maybe even start assembling tonight.
I’ve forgotten how much I love sewing on batiks. The fabrics are so crisp and lie so flat.
Here is the center block. Square in a square units are not my favorite thing in the world and this was good to practice them. The pattern has a few suggestions to get everything to line up right.
For Block 1, there twelve of these guys.
And eight of Block 2.
I don’t think it was intentional, but the number of blocks goes down from Block 1 – 4, so I only have four of Block 3 and two of Block 4 to make. It’s a nice stepdown.
Back to sewing the last ones!
Month 2 of the Quilt-Along is all ready to go on February 2. The center star looks amazing and I’m loving how the quilt in coming together. We also have received the prizes from American Made Brand, so those will be revealed soon.
In the meantime, the fabrics for Talavera Tile arrived on Friday. The Prisma Dyes are beautiful in person and I’m excited to get started on this. I didn’t intentionally choose Seahawks fabrics, but I unintentionally nailed it. The white is actual a light grey and it’s very close to wolf grey.
Just a quick post today to show off the fabrics. I’ve been petting them for the last 15 minutes, so it seemed right to share them with everyone. My plan is to spend the weekend quilting and I should get make some good progress on this quilt. The deadline to complete the top is February 28, and it’s looking like I won’t be working right up to the deadline (fingers crossed!)
One of my next projects is pattern testing for Desert Bloom Quilting. Jessica at Desert Bloom created a beautiful quilt and pattern called Talavera Tile. She’s releasing the pattern in 2 sizes and was looking for pattern testers for the larger size (55″ x 73″).
(After having the pattern for a month), I spent some time today and recolored it. I have been loving batiks lately so I will be using the Prisma Dyes batiks. The fabrics have been ordered and should arrive in a little over a week, which gives me slightly less than a month to make the quilt top.
This is my re-coloring. I used Inkscape which can only color with a single color, rather than a pattern, but it gives an idea of the quilt. The fabrics below are the ones that I chose from the Artisan Batiks Prisma Dyes line.
Once the fabric arrives, expect to hear more about Talavera Tile in February.
Also, I realized after I colored it and purchased the fabric that I used Seahawks colors. I couldn’t figure out why I was loving the lime green so much… now I know.