As of my prior update, I had all of the panels sewn, cut, and ironed. The next step was to sew, cut, and iron again 🙂
The next round of sewing was fast and surprisingly easy. The pressed seams lined up really well and it wasn’t too bulky.
However, when I went to cut the seams opened, I had some difficulty. With the prior round’s seams included, there was more bulk than the first time I cut and often the fabric extended farther out than the fusible. This made it a little difficult since the fusible was what I needed to cut through. I had to cut the seams to maybe 1/8″ (instead of 1/4″) and be super careful to not cut through any of the seams. And since there were more layers, it required more pressure (and probably needed a new rotary blade *cough* ).
After I cut about 2 blocks, it occurred to me to test being able to press the seams open. Because of how small they were, I couldn’t press them open. But I could press them regularly, which was fine with me because it meant I didn’t need to cut anything else. And by “press regularly”, it was more akin to “smash the panels with an iron until they were sort of in the ballpark of flat”. I smash/pressed each panel into submission. I then attached the rows together and ran into an unexpected problem… one row was longer than the other two. I started with 1″ squares that were supposed to end at 1/2″ but there was some variability. The bigger problem was that there was a different amount of shrinkage for the first round of sewing to the second (I’m not sure if this was due to user error, small size of the squares, or is expected. The tutorial recommends quilt shop fabric to avoid fabric distortion, which I am using, so we can rule that out). When I was all “I’m going to be smart and sew whichever side has more seams first”, it resulted in my sewing the vertical seams of 6 panels and horizontal of 3. Next time, I would sew all of the vertical seams then all of the horizontal. I’d end up with a finished rectangle instead of a square, but better than my trapezoid.
I was able to pin the heck out of the longer piece to get it to attach to the smaller one, so it wasn’t a huge deal and when I go to quilt it, I imagine that there will be enough stretch in the left side to get this to look close to a square. The panel is around 23″ (supposed to 25″… close enough!).
From the back:
The project is supposed to have 3 more panels but I’m questioning what I want to do. It was fun to make but a little tough on my wrists. So I don’t know, we’ll see. I was thinking of making a larger one with 1 1/2″ squares since I imagine it’ll be easier to work with. The panel would finish at 50″ (theoretically) and I could add borders and have a quilt that way.